Monday, April 27, 2009

Hello, All.

I will never forget this weekend.

It was a beautiful Friday--the sky was blue without a single cloud. It was a perfect day to take a nice long drive. I can't remember the last time I felt that excited about taking a road trip. Things were going so well until we hit Valdosta and my "check engine" light came on. We didn't know what to do...I was calling Hoonie, Christy was calling Dan, Janice was checking under the hood, and Heeyon was reading in the manual. Then we stopped everything and just prayed. "Lord, you have brought us this far, please see us the rest of the way to Jacksonville. We put our trust in You, Lord. We know you are taking care of us, so please guide us there."

We got into Jacksonville at 7:00 p.m. safe and sound. Praise the Lord!

How can I describe how it felt to see TJ that night? She stood in her driveway with her arms open wide, smiling and so happy to see us. You would never know she is battling cancer looking at her. She looks the same as she as always has...beautiful.

We hugged a lot, laughed a lot and took lots of pictures. (Heeyon will be sending out pictures of our weekend soon, so be on the lookout.) We had a wonderful dinner that her mom prepared for us and then we set off for the beach. TJ's friend, Nancy, who's been taking care of her was gracious to offer her beach house to us for the weekend. She is truly an angel and we were so grateful to be able to thank her in person for all that she is doing for TJ. She is an amazing provision from God!

I think the most memorable part of the weekend happened on Sunday morning. We decided that we would stay at the beach and have worship together just the five of us. We went around and shared our favorite Scripture passage, and then we prayed for TJ. We surrounded her with our loving hands and prayed for her, for Kwang, for Matthew, for Hannah, and for her parents. How do you describe the encounter with God that happens when Christians pray together? The Lord blessed us richly in that precious time of prayer. We did not want to leave...

When we got in the car to head back to Atlanta, I was hoping the "check engine" light would be off, but it was still on. Once again, we had to trust that the Lord would see us home. Who else could we depend on?

We were tired on our way back, but our time in the car was filled with wonderful talks about the weekend, about TJ, and mostly about how Jesus is so clearly seen in TJ. Physically, she is worn down, but spiritually, she is at peace and standing firm.

If I had to sum up the weekend in one phrase, it would be this: "In Christ Alone"

Over and over again, we had many reminders of trusting in Christ alone. Even until the end of our trip. Would you believe that as soon as I dropped off the ladies, the "check engine" light in the car turned off on its own? Wow! I know there's no Scripture reference for what happened, but I am sure that it was God reminding us throughout our weekend to trust in Him.

Sorry for the long email, but there was so much to tell. Thank you for your prayers for us, for TJ, and for her family. Please continue to pray for TJ. She begins her next chemo treatment tomorrow morning at 9:00 a.m. It will last approximately 3 hours. Please pray for specifically from 9:00--12:00. Pray that this chemo will be effective in ridding her body of the cancer. Pray for limited side effects. Pray that her lungs will get stronger. Pray for Kwang, Matthew, Hannah, her parents, and Nancy.

"Hear my cry, O God, listen to my prayer; from the end of the earth I call to you when my heart is faint. Lead me to the rock that is higher than I, for you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the enemy." Psalm 61:1-3

"For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from him. He only is the rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken. On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God. Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before him; God is a refuge for us." Psalm 62:5-8


Susan Lee (Open Door Community Church in Alpharetta, GA)

No comments: